Considering the significance of the risk factors for a heart attack, obesity comes in the first place. However, there are certain other risk factors that join obesity in the list. Obesity is not just related to heart diseases, but also with many other disorders in the human body, including cancers.
Colon cancer, kidney cancer, gallbladder cancer, cancer of the esophagus, breast cancer and pancreas cancers are amongst the few common types of cancers linked with obesity. As an effort to share my knowledge with people seeking answers to questions about obesity, I have written this article.
Obesity: Various Problems/Ailments
Sharing all the health related problems, those associated with obesity is almost impossible as there are numerous of them. However, I have shared a couple of them that tops the list of ailments:
- Heart Disease: This is the most significant health problem linked to obesity and includes various sub types such as congestive heart failure, and other cardiovascular disorders. Due to obesity, the heart may be unable to pump adequate amount of blood leading to breathlessness in people.
- High Blood Pressure: High blood pressure or hypertension is a condition where the pressure exerted by the blood on the cardiac walls is not in normal range but elevates and may be responsible for further damage to heart.
- High Cholesterol: Cholesterol is the fats made and accumulated in the body. In obese people, the cholesterol levels elevate and may hinder the normal blood flow to the body, if too much of cholesterol accumulates in the blood vessels.
- Stroke: Stroke is characterized by sudden loss of consciousness in a person and is associated with blockage occurred in any of the neuro-system nerves in the brain. The person suffering from this condition may become immobilized or lose sensation for a span of time.
- Diabetes: An obese person is at a high risk of diabetes, which in itself is a triggering risk factor for various health diseases. Amongst the two types of diabetes mellitus, type-2 is closely related with obesity. However, being overweight is not the only risk factor for diabetes.
- Arthritis: This disorder is characterized by inflammation of the joints and is a term used to define number of ailments related to joints. This is quite obvious that a person with overweight tends to put extra weight on joints and thereby challenging its normal ability to bear weight and perform normal functions. Lower back, hips and knees joints are the most affected joints due to obesity.
- Cancer: Around 150000 new cases of cancers are reported every year over the globe and the main reason for the cancer incidences is obesity. Breast cancer leads the list of cancer caused due to obesity and endometrial cancer, kidney cancer, colorectal cancer and gallbladder cancer joins the list of cancers with obesity as a risk factor to it.
The above given list is a brief idea about how obesity possesses the ‘killing’ potential and can harm the health of a human being. This article can give you a fair idea about what are the problems associated with obesity and why one needs to be cautious about maintaining healthy weight throughout his/her lifetime.