Shaping the leg and calf muscles is one of the most important goals for female health buffs. This is because shapely bodies need to have the right proportion of upper body and lower body muscles. Fortunately, there are a number of different leg exercises that can be done outside the gym, right at home without the use of any exercise equipment. So if you need help, here are some of the best leg exercise routines that you can do today.
- Wall Squat – This routine works on your front thigh muscles. Stand flat against the wall with your feet shoulder-width apart. Make sure that you distribute your body weight equally between your two legs. Lower your body by sliding your back against the wall to a squat position. Your back should be in contact with the surface at all times. Stand back up, again with your back flat on the wall. Inhale as you do down and exhale as you go stand back up.
- Lunges – Stand feet apart with your feet distanced slightly less than your shoulder width. Grab a barbell with a long grip, wide enough to fit the length of your shoulders. Place the weight across your shoulders. Slowly step forward and balance out the weight by keeping your back vertical and inclined. Lower down your body by bending one knee until it slightly touches the floor. Go back up to your starting position and repeat. If you are a beginner, you can take shallower lunges until you get a hold of the entire routine. Make sure that you have no knee injuries before doing this exercise.
- Standing Dumbbell Squats – This routine also works out your front thigh muscles. Start out by holding a dumbbell on both sides of your hands. Stand feet apart, parallel to the width of your shoulders. Slowly lower your body down into a squatting position while keeping your back straight at all times. Go back up to standing position and repeat. Again, inhale as you lower your body and exhale as you stand back up. For beginners, you can start out by carrying 2-lbs dumbbells and slowly increasing the load as you go.
- Seated Split Stretch – This routine stretches out your inner thigh muscles. Sit on the floor and stretch your legs apart as far as you possibly can. Reach out your hand and attempt to touch your left toes. Stay on this position for twenty to thirty seconds before going back to your starting position. Repeat the entire routine with the right toes.
- Seated Butterfly – This exercise routine works up your inner thigh muscles. Sit on the floor with your back straight. Put the soles of your feet together and bring them towards your body as best as you possibly can. Rest your hands on your feet and put slight pressure on to your thighs. Hold this position for 10-30 seconds.
Experts recommend that you start out with these exercise routines with 15-20 repetitions in one cycle. You can then increase the level of intensity by doing 2 sets or more. Do the routine 2 times a week for the best results.