Jumping rope is an exercise we believe is made for kids and tend to overlook as adults. The thought of jump roping usually conjures memories of our childhoods, usually either in the form of school playgrounds or the balcony of our house. The idea that jump roping could be a part of our current exercise routines doesn’t often enter into the picture. Think again!
Jumping rope is possibly the single most comprehensive and beneficial form of exercise a person can do. It can be done just about anywhere and anytime. It can be done alone or in a group. It can also be easily incorporated into anyone’s lifestyle. Best of all, it is an exercise that is fun, entertaining, and highly enjoyable.
Jumping rope or skipping is an activity that can be traced back to 1600 AD, when Egyptians used vines for jumping. In the 1940s and ’50s, skipping surged in popularity with kids in many US cities It was fun, plain and simple, and caught the attention of kids of all ages through the years and so the sport was born.
In today’s world Jumping rope actually has a lot going for it as an exercise. It can help you stay in top shape. Here are some reasons why you should regularly practice jumping rope:
- Great for Weight Loss: Jumping rope can burn up to 1000 calories per hour, making it one of the most efficient workouts possible.
- Muscular Fitness: It tones muscles in the entire body, developing long, lean muscles in all major muscle groups, both upper and lower.
- Good for Cardiovascular Fitness: Jumping rope optimizes cardiovascular fitness. It can also help your heart to utilize oxygen efficiently.
- Optimizes overall all fitness: It maximizes athletic skills by combining agility, coordination, timing, and endurance.
- Inexpensive: Compared to most other fitness products, jump ropes are very inexpensive, making this exercise accessible to everyone.
- Portable: Jumping ropes are the most portable fitness equipments ever made. They can even fit in a small plastic bag and can be carried in your suitcase if you are traveling. For this reason, jumping rope is the perfect exercise for travelers.
- Easy to Learn: People of all fitness levels and athletic abilities can learn to jump rope in a relatively short amount of time. No matter what your ability level is; you can learn at your own pace in a relaxed and comfortable environment.
- More Fun: Jumping rope is extremely enjoyable and can easily become a fitness addiction! Also, jumping rope is one of the most flexible types of workout that encourages creativity and spontaneity.
If you plan on using jumping rope as part of your aerobic routine, it’s best to follow the guidelines given below. Remember, it is a high impact exercise and hence should be done in an appropriate fashion:
- Use a floor surface that is even, smooth and limits friction. Avoid cement floors. Go for wooden floors.
- The length of the rope should be appropriate. When you step on the middle, the end sections of the rope should fit comfortably in the hands and reach the middle of the chest.
- Warm up before starting the exercise.
- Remember to lift feet off floor just high enough for the rope to pass quickly.
- Try not to jump high and land hard.
- Keep shoulders relaxed and turn the rope with wrists.
- Have patience. Start slow and then increase the intensity.
If you want to get in shape but lack the time or money to join a gym, head down to your local sporting goods store and pick up a jump rope. You’ll quickly find out how fun and effective this workout can be.